Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New at Anything But Cute #9

I do hope everyone totally enjoyed their holidays! We are back at it again and our lovely sweet and talented hostess this month at Anything But Cute is: Anne. She has created a wonderful challenge theme to help you use those wonderful art product Christmas gifts you received! Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New

Here is what Anne says "To celebrate the New Year, we would like you to create a mixed media card or project using something 'new'. Perhaps you got some fabulous new craft item for Christmas or you have something new that you have not used yet - just remember to tell us what the new item is!"

Exciting isn't it? I had an extremely lovely and generous Christmas this year. My DH felt bad about last year so he kinda went all out. Hehe! Everything I used for this design is new, well almost. Even a new craft mat!


Lets get started on the process! I started with these canvas tags and applied gesso to one. Dried it with my new heat gun and then used some new modeling paste and a Ledger stencil, dried that with my new gun as well. The base of these canvas tags are made of some very sturdy material, not sure exactly what it is but, dang are they sturdy little suckers. 

The Liquitex modeling paste is exquisite! I usually make my own but this is awesome sauce stuff! Thick, easy to spread and dries kinda fast.  

The real fun started with these new LSG magicals from the Industrail Chic set. Those have been on my wish list for over a year! I sprinkled Steampunk Sepia and Shabby Turbine Teal onto the tag and spritzed with water. Heat dried and then dabbed on some LSG starburst Bachelor Button Blue and Cowabunga Copper and sprayed with water. Always dry between layering colors, even though you will get some merging of the colors even if they are dry. Next came the Rusty Lantern Lime magicals, I applied this color over the texture paste with my new Waterbrush (detailed tip). Took me a bit to figure out how to use the thing but it was fun.
The cheesecloth was also colored with the Rusty Lantern Lime magicals and hot glued to the tag. I added a metal anchor between the cheesecloth and layered my heart knot on top. The heart knot was kinda hard to tie but after about 20 failed attempts, I did it! Thank you YouTube for the tutorial. I watched so many I have to give credit to anyone that made a video about it. :)
The last little bit added was really micro! These new micro beads are fantastical to add some texture but those little, I mean LITTLE, buggers are a handful! Finally I just put some mod podge onto my craft mat and dipped my brush straight into the bead container and "painted" 'em onto my tag. Whew! I had a bit of a mess going for a minute. I ended up using Copper, Bronze, and Splash micro beads. 
The photo below shows a closer look at the heart knot. Hopefully you can actually see that it resembles a heart shape? This is also a close up of the micro beads. The anchor is an old piece from my stash.
Cheers to 2016 and all of the new journeys everyone will be taking, whether it be through art, life, or a planned adventure! Hugz to you all and don't forget to check out my what talented teamies have designed! Carpe Diem! ~Niki

I would thoroughly enjoy sharing this tag with these lovely challenges:

Our Creative Corner-Make Time Moodboard Challenge
(I thought the picture from the wonderful moodboard looked like a sea captains navigation compass, I also made time for myself to design this, being sick and under the weather had me out for a bit)

613 Avenue Create #157-Anything Goes w/ optional twist Create a CAS card/project

Crafty Boots Challenge-Something Old, Something New
(my cheesecloth and metal anchor are the something old, everything else is something new)

Craft Your Passion #293-Anything Goes

Crafting from the Heart #93-Anything Goes

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge-Something New





31 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag Nikki! I really like that stencil for your background and the anchor. The rope heart turned out pretty darn good!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great description of how you achieved the gorgeous result on your tag. I can see those Magicals moving to the top of my 'wanted' list if only for the names of the colours!! Well done for persevering with the rope heart - it is incredible and finishes the tag off perfectly! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Doc, looks like you really cleaned up this year with all those crafty goodie gifts!! Awesome!! I love that ledger stencil and your Lindy work is so beautiful! I am addicted to the Liquitex line as you will soon be, lol!! I just ordered my first Prima microbeads so it's so fun to see you have already dabbled with them, brilliant addition to this fabulous tag!! Stunning creation my friend, love it to bits!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Niki, this is a fabulous mixed media tag, loaded with lots of techniques and my favorite...microbeads! Yes, they can be a handful, and provoke a lot of cussing in the Closet! I have a love/hate relationship with them, can you tell? Your love knot is so stinkin' clever, and really well done! Your perseverance really paid off in a big way! This is just a great design, and is going down as one of my Niki fav's!!! I hope you are now operating at a full 100%, my friend! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooooow, Niki, what a fabulous, grungy, mixed media tag! What a texture, what a colour combo and your rope heart is a cherry on top! Oh, microbeads, I adore them!
    Marvelous tag, my friend!
    Huge hugs! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great inauguration of your new craft stash!! Love that stencil with the texture paste, and a new craft mat - oooh,I am jealous!! You are off to a wonderful start on the 2016 crafting, dear - hope to catch up myself soon once I get home! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tag, love all the details. Have fun with your new stash, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. guess hubby did good, huh? hehe.....love the tag - the heart knot is awesome. love the colors. Industrial Chic is definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab tag design. Love the details and colors. Thanks for your entry in our challenge at 613 Avenue Create! Come again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen a heart knot before Niki - it's so fun!! I'm so glad you didn't do this project in red though... it is just so perfect in the colors that you chose. Gorgeous background, embellies and layers. Thanks bunches for such great inspiration. j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, how gorgeous! just adore the texture and colour. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tag, love the colors! Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tag - I haven't seen these before. Love all the textures and the gorgeous colours. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had access to a Tuesday Morning here but alas no so I will have to wait until my next visit to my friend in Virginia before I can go there and pick up some of those tags. I love that you added all the Gesso, texture and spritzed it with colour and the tag is not warped. Your heart knotted rope is FAB-U-LOUS.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nikki, the powders are just amazing!!! Been seeing so much of these and now you've really made me want some! This is so pretty and the knot was such a neat idea. Beautiful project. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous tag design.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this tag, Nikki - the natural colour tones are beautiful - might have to investigate those powders! Fabulous textured text, and a great idea to use the knot as the focal element.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous tag Nikki, great textures. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous tag Niki, love those LSG Magicals (now on MY wish list LOL!) and congrats on getting the heart knot tied, that looks so complicated! Thanks for sharing your lovely tag and wishing you and yours joy in this New Year! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tag!!!!!! The heart knot is phenomenal!!!
    and thus your altered notebook is phenomenal!! Thanks for visiting us at 613 Avenue Create and good luck!!!!
    Hugs,
    Lynne
    613 Avenue Create DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well, Niki! Get well soon!

    I love your compass interpretation of our mood board over at Our Creative Corner and I always love your highly textural approach on the art you create!

    Your tag is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Our Creative Corner, my friend!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tag is beautiful! I love the colors and textures. Thank you for playing along with us at Craft Your Passion. We hope to see you again!
    ~ Bonnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great inspiration, and such an original heart! I love all the details. Thanks for playing with us at Our Creative Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning tag. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog.

    Dawn DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Niki!
    I had a little 'me time' and treated myself to a visit to your blog. Your mixed media tag is fabulous! I love the way you built the layers of color and texture. Your step by step is excellent as well. Lucky you, getting all those new crafty goodies for Christmas:-)) Thanks for the amazing inspiration, and many blessings throughout the New Year!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous tag and I love all the textures and the colour palette is just stunning! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome! I love the way you show your process... looks like fun! Ahh, there's something about a new craft mat... and now I'm off to look up Magicals, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great tag - thanks for the step by step showing how you created it.

    Thanks for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning tag Niki! I love the fresh colours, the blues and green together are so funky and beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Niki, your tag is gorgeous....great colours and fantastic combination of little pieces! Thank you for playing with us at Our Creative Corner!
    Best wishes from sLOVEnija

    ReplyDelete